Monday, 29 October 2007

Mini book analysis

I said I'd post this yesterday, but I got a little too involved with my latest piece of artwork ^^;

Anyway, as I said in my last post, I'm looking at The Animator's Survival Kit. My reasons for choosing that book? 'Cause I couldn't get a hold of the reading list books and this one's appropriate to what I want to accomplish at uni.

The book was written (and drawn) to help both amateur and professional animators alike with their animating techniques, specifically frame by frame examples like walk cycles or body movement. It also gives tips on weight in movement, showing the extremes of the drawings that make them feel like the character or object has mass.

Here are some things I particularly liked about this book:
  • If you're like me, your eyes will dart around the page contantly, trying to take everything in. While this isn't helpful when reading novels, mainly 'cause something spoilerly might happen on the opposite page you haven't got to, it really pays of with book like this. There's always something catching your attention, making it easy the find something that you've wanted to know or something that you're interested in. All the drawings in it break up the text, which is great for me 'cause I don't handle long blocks of text too well.
  • It's accessible. As I said before, both ameteurs and professionals can learn something from it, and the book doesn't use confusing terms that only certain people would know.
  • All the frame by frame examples are amazing to look at, seeing how people keyframe the work, then fill it in bit by bit to simulate movement. My only problem with this is that that not everyone wants to use unrealistic extremes in animation, so they might want to research elsewhere for that kind of thing.
  • It has the individual mouth movements for letters of the alphabet, so people who want to learn lip syncing will be able to easily.
Another problem I have with this book is that it doesn't give too much advice of storyboarding, which is an important part of animation. If it contained a more examples of that, it would've helped a lot more.

Well, that's my analysis. I think I've got enough to talk about tomorrow after writing this :D

No comments: